When I am not busy trying to help people find homes, be it to rent or own, First timers or Downsizers…I have a second love– Trying new recipes. Now for those that have sometimes been my guinea pigs …this can be an experience..some good..some not so good! But in the end- we can always order PIZZA, if things do not go ‘exactly’ as planned.
My latest quest is to try to freshen up plain old meat, chicken and pork with marinades. It all started when I first bought packets of the Jack Daniels marinades in the store. They are incredible!!! If you need it now and don’t know what you have in the cupboard at home- then THEY are the way to go!!
But, as I shop on a very tight budget and take great pride in saving money…it is my personal quest to save 50% without coupons and 75% or more with….I really have become a fan of shopping more without coupons and shopping for real food- rather than processed. The first step in doing this has been building up a good pantry of ‘supplies’ on hand to make just about anything…and along the way I have learned..the cop out phrase of ‘oh that just takes too long’ does not hold water.
If you are new to the idea I highly recommend the book “Real Food Has Curves” by Bruce Weinstein & Mark Scarbrough. This book will radically change how you think about food, how you enjoy food, and how much food you eat to be satisfied. (translation- you will reduce calories- and still enjoy what you like!)
With all of that said today’s venture into marinades is simple:
- a few boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Marinade: 1/2 C veg oil, 1/4 C Vinegar (wine Vinegar if you have it), 1/4 C Soy sauce, 1/4 C lemon juice, 1 T mustard, 1 T parsley, 1 or 2 Garlic Cloves- you know your taste and pepper (1/2 to 3/4 t)
- Place breasts into a glass baking dish, cover fully with the marinade and let sit- either overnight or at least a few hours in the fridge.
- If you want to grill– then do so- and baste part way through with the marinade and serve- probably 10 minutes tops!
- For me- baking is usually the case so about 325-350 uncovered in the same dish we had them in the fridge in- bake uncovered 25-35 minutes..turn over- baste them with the marinade- bake another 25 minutes- be sure they are done and ENJOY!!
Served with some vegetables and rice this is an incredibly easy and flavorful meal the whole family will enjoy!