Ready to sell your home..let’s see what I, as your REALTOR will be looking for:
YARD- mow the lawn, pull weeds, trim shrubs and plant ‘fresh’ flowers
- Exterior- clean it up- stow away Trash bins- (yes we all have trash- no need to advertise it!), Organize your garage, do outdoor repairs- maybe caulking, gap fillers, scrape and paint trim and perhaps doors.
- Air- OK- I could be really sweet here and say remove any sources of offensive odors- but I think it pays to be direct and specific. With that said- if you are a PET owner be it Iguana, Hamster, Snake..or run of the mill Cat and/or Dog- You probably do not smell your animal’s smells- but potential buyers will. So bring in a fresh set of nostrils- ask a friend to help and be sure they understand you will NOT be offended if they tell you the truth re odors!!!! You need this help- this is $$$. Also, if you are Garlic or Fish eaters (2 of the strongest odor makers in the kitchen) wash and/or change out your filter system and wash down the walls and cabinets to remove odor residue.
- Indoors- Make repairs- Everyone has a Honey-Do list- now is the time to get all those things done- before you invite people into your home to offer you MONEY$ for your home!
- Clean- I don’t mean sweep, vac and dust- I MEAN CLEAN! If, like many families, your time is at a premium and getting all of this done- to this deep a level would be so time consuming as to take away from quality of life- then do what CEOs of major corporations do everyday- DELEGATE! Hire out this job and you will be amazed at the job a cleaning company can do for you in preparation for your presenting your home onto the open market!
- Replace what cannot be cleaned- this category often covers Carpets and may..perhaps..cover ceiling fans. If you Carpets without major tears and only minor stains- you may- may- may want to simply offer a CARPET ALLOWANCE- thereby allowing your buyer to choose what they want in THEIR home! However, there is a school of thought that believes the condition of your carpets(floors) will directly be reflected in the dollar amount of any potential offers!!
- Paint- if need be. Neutral is always good- but, and this is an opinion, if you have distinct colors that work, then don’t go overboard to change it- just go with it. I have been in some yellow yellow dining areas- that when completed with furnishings and staged with place settings look AMAZING! I’ve been in living areas painted Forest Green- a dark color noone would suggest you do your home- but because of an amazing amount of sunlight coming in and the large fireplace and furnishings- the color actually warmed it up and made you feel right at home. Come on- you know if your louder than neutral colors work…and by work I mean not just for you- but for most. **Here’s a hint- take some pictures of your room(s) in question and look at them on the computer- do the colors make the room look off, or off putting?? Do the colors distract from the features of the room??
- Clutter- simply put- remove it…get a storage unit for 60-90 days and place all of it out of sight…make your home as spacious as possible- this INCLUDES your closets- if it is summer- pack away all hints of winter clothing- and if winter- vice versa!
- ENHANCE what ya got- if it is a great deck/pool or Fireplace or Great Room or Kitchen- whatever it is- SHOW IT OFF!! This IS the time to brag on your home!!
So are you ready to sell your home???
Happy House Hunting in North Texas. If you need a REALTOR® to list your current home, or are looking to buy or rent in the North Texas region- Give Dawn a call/text 214-604-4561 at Avery Properties/Avery Realty Group- where Sellers Enjoy 4% Listings and Buyers Enjoy Cash Back!! (ask me how…..)